New York – Winter Wonderland or Deep Freeze Chic
New York in the Winter time is a magical place. At the moment, colder than anyone could ever have imagined, yet a bit of a Winter Wonderland nevertheless, filled with Snow, Ice Sickles and depending on the month, the amazing Christmas Holiday Lights.
These days, there’s no more perfect compliment to all the glittering lights, snow and ice as a chic black and white wardrobe accented with a few pops of metallic to accentuate the glow, and yes, lets not forget the statement outer wear!
Winter travel can be additionally stressful with the weather cancellations, delays, etc…so it’s more important than ever to keep my wardrobe contained as much as possible to 2 carry on bags. In an effort to reduce my luggage to a minimalistically chic duo, while packing bulkier winter items, here’s my strategy:
1. Devote yourself to a color palette, then Mix & Match galore. This winter, I’m all about the Black, White and Metallics…and of course with a pop of red in a scarf, shoe or accessory to accentuate the red lips. A few statement tops and dress ccan easily change up those black leggings or the skirt and tights combo for a variety of settings.
2. Substitute leather or faux leather for denim. The leather trend is all the rage and an added benefit is that it really keeps you warm, so leave the jeans at home as they’ll only add weight to your luggage.
3. Keep all shoes in the category of “Day to Night”. No, I don’t mean ballet flats that you can walk in for 24 hours straight, but fashion forward shoes and boots that are serious enough for daytime meetings or lunches and edgy enough for a night on the town.
4. Let statement accessories set the tone. You can easily fit your accessory and jewelry choices into your handbag when traveling and these dangle earrings and large cuff bracelets are what can convert any simple black ensemble to being worthy of the pages of Vogue.
5. Dont forget the sparkle on nails and lips. That pop of color should not be forgotten down to the tiniest details when dressing with a limited palette. A great color lipstick or gloss can save you from looking winter washed out and a pre trip mani is one of my favorite accessories, not to mention you always look put together!
*Thinking like any American these days, I’m a tad bit concerned about these Arctic climates for the Super Bowl XLVIII and the surrounding activities in New York, only weeks away, but know that in the absolute worse case scenario, I can always top off my look with a long, down jacket, and I’ll be covered for warmth.
I am however slightly devastated about the fact that discount designer fashion icon, Loehmann’s, that originated nearly a century ago in The Bronx, will be closing their doors once and for all.
That’s right, my parent’s bore the bad news to me today, like a loss of a loved one, that Loehmann’s, where I’ve shopped nearly exclusively when I’m Stateside *save for some fantastic small boutique finds here and there…was throwing in their hat.
Of course my first reaction was the huge lump that grew instantly in my throat and then opening a bottle of good wine to drown my sorrows, *quite possibly the same bottle that I was saving for my next post Loehmann’s shopping spree / home runway galavanting ritual that I’ve done for years…Oh, but sadly no more.
In an ode to my dear Loehmann’s, the home base from which I’ve taught so many friends to be Fashionistas over the years, no matter what their budget, I’m working a little Loehmann’s Love into my Black & White New York Winter Packing Wardrobe…so ladies, if you’re heading to The City That Never Sleeps, here’s how you can pay your homage!
I’m thankful to have had my Last Hoorah of curating a 3 month long winter wardrobe of fabulous Black, White and Metallic pieces earlier this December in the Chevy Chase, DC store, then accomplishing a stellar successful Christmas shopping run at the Seventh Avenue Manhattan store, and now it will be time to pay my respects at the Beverly Center and Costa Mesa locales during my West Coast run, searching for any and every handbag, accessory or clothing item that I need or may stumble upon and realize that I need just because the price is that right during their Liquidation Sale.
If you’re lucky, you’ve got a Loehmann’s in your town and can head out as well this weekend for a last chance at snagging some unbeatable deals!
Oh Loehmann’s, why must you leave me so soon?
WINTER WONDERLAND DOWNTOWN & MIDTOWN NYC COLLAGE:
COAT: Dawn Levy, ‘Serena’ Leather Sleeve Asymmetrical Wool Coat, $636.49
1. Dagmar, Ausuka Coated Print Sweater, $319
2. 3.1 Phillip Lim, The Pashli Large Shark-Effect Leather Trapeze Bag, $895
3. Rag & Bone, Harrow Booties, $495
4. DV by Dolce Vita, Mairin Faux Leather Skirt, $165
5. Piper Strand, Reid Earrings, $45
1. Ohne Titel, Point Jacquard Sleeveless Dress, $510
2. ZARA, Leather Boot with High Heel, $229
3. Rebecca Minkoff, Colby Circle Wristlet, $165
4. Lionette NY, Tokyo Earrings, $345
5. J.Crew, Crystal Triangles Bracelet, $69.99
GYPSY’S OWN WINTER WONDERLAND COLLAGE 1:
GYPSY’S OWN WINTER WONDERLAND COLLAGE 2:
*Items from Loehmann’s Winter 2013 – 2014 Collection as well as Desigual Coat, Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Snow Globe Nail Polish, YSL Golden Gloss and a Mindy Gayle Design Custom Knitted Scarf.